Choosing the type of flooring for your home is quite a big decision especially if you are not knowledgeable about it. If you have decided to go for hardwood, the next thing that you have to consider is to choose among the many types of hardwood flooring available.
Some of the common choices that you may consider are maple, oak or cherry hardwood. One of the best hardwood flooring available today is the bamboo. This article will provide you with several reasons why bamboo flooring is the best choice that you can have.
1. Warm Environment – Bamboo has nice natural patterns that can give a warm finish. The natural grains make your floor look stunning and give a warmth feel in your place.
2. Strength and Durability – Bamboo flooring is known for its durability and can stand the test of time. It is a perfect choice as it can withstand abuses that may be caused by children and pets at home. It can also endure areas that are high in foot traffic like the kitchen and hallways.
3. Environmentally Responsible – Using bamboo is the most environment-friendly hardwood flooring because it is not a wood or tree at all. It is a grass that can thrive anywhere and reaches its full potential in only about five years. A bamboo is a renewable source that when you cut off a matured one, new bamboo shoots propagate around it.
4. Color and Style – Bamboo has natural look and color that can be matched with any home decor and furniture. Its wooden appearance and growth pattern gives your home a warmth feel and an elegant style. There are also variations in the color of bamboo flooring if you prefer to have other shades.
Aside from the natural blond color of bamboo flooring, it also comes in rich amber color, which is achieved by carbonizing the wood grains in it through a smoking process.
5. Cutting Edge – Bamboo flooring has indeed made its way into the market for the previous years. Its cutting edge style has attracted consumers. It surely gives a unique look and feel of your home making your decorating easier as it can be mixed and matched with any type of home furniture and decor.
When it comes to renovating a home, no two rooms do more to increase the value of the property than the kitchen and bathroom. Not only will you maximize your design dollars by making changes in these rooms – as the smallest of changes can affect the largest of transformation – but any renovation to these rooms can make the home a more attractive buy for any house hunter.
In the bathroom, especially, well-spent money can mean the difference between an ordinary bathroom and a spectacular bathroom. When it comes to getting the most for your money in bathroom renovations, nothing goes as long a way as countertops; a material that can easily transform the entire space.
Choosing bathroom countertop material comes down to personal style and budget. The most commonly chosen are stone, ceramic tile, and laminate. But a non-traditional – and beautiful – a choice that is gaining in popularity is that of glass countertops.
The element that must considered whenever there is a change made to the bathroom is water. Steam, humidity, and moisture can wreak havoc on the most durable of materials so it is important to ensure that you have chosen a countertop that can hold up successfully in this very particular environment. Glass – as we know – is impervious to such conditions. It simply can be wiped off and the moisture has disappeared.
In addition to its resilience, glass also offer a unique look for any bathroom. Because they are transparent they add size to any small space; and for anyone who has worked to make a small bathroom feel and look larger, glass can do wonders.
For decorating purposes glass countertops offer a creative way to define the decor of your bathroom. Many owners choose to place flowers, candles, or other decorative objects underneath the glass – instantly creating an interesting showpiece in the bathroom. And because glass is clear it provides a neutral palette on which to build a cohesive design; it will blend seamlessly with any decor or act as the catalyst to further a design plan.
Another advantage of glass is that it never goes out of style. Elegant and timeless, glass will always hold up regardless of the decorative trends that are popular at the moment.
Of course, every material has its disadvantages and there is generally only one that can be said of glass. Glass countertops – because of the nature of its material – can be breakable. But most often, a specially designed glass – one that has an increased thickness – is used for making such countertops so ordinarily breakage is a rare occurrence.
Glass countertops can be found at any large home improvement retailer, bathroom design showplace, and even online. While many come pre-cut to a standard bathroom size, there is the option of having yours custom cut to fit a non-traditional bathroom space. But, ultimately, you will undoubtedly find that glass countertops are a low maintenance, highly resilient, and beautiful feature that completely transforms your bathroom.
Going green with a bathroom remodel is a major consideration today for many Indiana homeowners. A green bathroom remodel is good for the environment, but it is also good for you because it will save you money on utility bills for years to come. It also might qualify for some rebates and tax credits. The main opportunities to make your bathroom remodel environmentally friendly are in water conservation and in use of energy for heating/cooling and lighting.
Here are some tips for green bathroom remodeling:
1. Choose non-toxic building materials. These materials are better for your family and good for the environment.
2. Choose non-toxic insulation derived from materials like soybean or cotton. These are safer to handle and install, safer for your family, and good for the environment.
3. Choose tropical hardwoods certified by the Forest Stewardship Council. These are rapidly renewable and protect the environment.
4. Wood-based features should come from rapidly renewable sources like cork and bamboo.
5. Choose VOC free (volatile organic compound) paints and sealants. These materials are safer to install, safer for your family (especially if there are children in the home) and better for the environment.
6. Purchase and install low-flow faucets and shower heads to reduce the amount of water used. Install an aerator in all faucets. This is a very significant water conservation step.
7. Choose and install low-flow or dual-flush toilets. These toilets can function with as little as half the water used by older toilets. Dual-flush toilets offer the choice for a lighter flush or a more thorough flush as needed.
8. Choose energy efficient light fixtures and use compact fluorescent bulbs in all light fixtures. You will not need to replace light bulbs as often, and you will use only a fraction of the energy for your lighting needs.
9. Use a window and skylight to provide natural light and natural ventilation. This will make your remodeled bathroom lighter and brighter and save energy.
10. If the bathroom is some distance from the hot water heater, consider installing a tankless water heater. If you are installing a whirlpool or soaker tub, install an in-line water heater. This allows you to re-heat the water in the tub, saving both power and water.
If you want to make your bathroom remodel environmentally friendly and energy-efficient, these ten tips will accomplish a great deal. Your new bathroom will be safer, more comfortable, and environmentally responsible.